Breast cancer statistics and guidance
Breast Cancer in Spain
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in Spain.
- It is the leading cause of premature death in women
- Early detection is strictly related to screening programmes
- Regular mammograms reduce breast cancer mortality by 20-40%
(Ref: International Agency for Research on Cancer EUCAN)
Mastectomy rate in Spain
Spain has a 66% mastectomy rate**
** High mastectomy rates are linked to the fact that breast tumours may be more advanced by the time they are found.
Signs to look out for:
- A new lump in your breast or underam
- Thickening or swelling of part of your breast
- Irritation or dimpling of breast skin
- Redness or flaky skin in nipple area or breast area
- Pulling in of your nipple or pain in the nipple area
- Nipple discharge
- Pain in any area of your breast
- Any change in the size or shape of your breast
DON’T DELAY: If you find an unusual change in your breast,
see your doctor without delay …………..
EARLY DETECTION REALLY CAN SAVE LIVES